If you’re planning on starting a website of your own, one of the first items you will need to consider is your domain name. In this day and age, availability if obviously going to play a role in what domain you end up selecting. That being said, there still exists quite a bit of autonomy when it comes to selecting a domain name, and the decision warrants a fair amount of thought and careful consideration. Here are 8 quick tips for choosing the perfect domain name.
- Begin by brainstorming keywords related to your industry/interest group in order to keep your domain name relevant.
- Avoid selecting names that are too similar to already existing websites.
- Keep your name short and easy to spell—this will make branding far easier.
- Select a name that is memorable and original.
- On a related note, avoid hyphens and numbers, as they can confuse (and thus drive away) potential traffic.
- Do your research in order to avoid copyright infringement.
- If your business is based in a physical location, consider targeting that area in your name.
- Generally speaking, dot com is the way to go.
By following these tips, you will be able to find a domain name that accomplishes several tasks all at once. The perfect domain name should capture the attention of your audience while also sticking in their minds due to its memorability. It should give your audience an idea of what kind of website it is. It should lend itself to further branding without being too reminiscent of another company. And it should be easy to type in order to accumulate direct traffic. If your potential name fulfills all of those requirements, it’s time to see if that name is available!